Friday, October 7, 2016

Vegan lemonade scones

These scones are super easy. Until I discovered this recipe when I was vegetarian, I had never made a light and fluffy delicious scone. I can bake, but scones were my enemy. Then I discovered this recipe.

When I made them last, instead of using lemonade, because I had none, I used sparkling mineral water, some sugar and lemon juice. They turned out fantastic.

However this time I had lemonade on hand.

I also tried to make a whipped butter/clotted cream to go with it. That was ok, not fabulous, but I will share the recipe anyway, as it is lighter than just using margarine.

I got the Alpro soy cream from IGA (Brunswick Supa IGA). The Cruelty Free store also stocks it, and other IGAs stores that stock vegan items, should have it too.

I would love some tips on the whipped cream. I am not a fan of the coconut one for scones, because it is not light enough. Anyone out there made a successful whipped cream type topping?

I think a tablespoon of sugar and a 1/2 tsp of salt would make the flavour of the scones better.

Scones

Ingredients


3 cups of plain flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 cup of lemonade
1 250ml container of vegan soy cream.

Method


  1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius.
  2. Sift flour and baking powder together in a large bowl.
  3. Pour cream and lemonade into a jug.
  4. Make a well in the center of your flour mix, pour in lemonade and cream. Stir with a flat knife or spatula until combined. If your mix is too wet, put one tablespoon at a time of extra flour. 
  5. Knead lightly for about 10 seconds till the dough comes together. You do not want to over knead or they will turn out tough. The less you have to knead, the better. Roll out the dough to 3 cms thickness. Cut with a round cutter.
  6. Place on baking tray and bake for 15 minutes.
  7. Serve with butter/cream and jam.

Whipped Butter

Ingredients

35gms Nuttelex (Coconut)
2-3 TBS aqua faba
4 tsp icing sugar


Method


Whip the nuttelex in a small jug. I have a balloon type whisk that attaches to my stick blender. It is perfect for this. Then start adding the aqua faba one teaspoon at a time, until you get the desired consistency. You can actually make the nuttelex stretch quite a bit, as in increase in volume, it is a lot lighter but not like whipped cream at all. More like a whipped butter. Add sugar to taste, and whip. Serve on scones.




2 comments:

  1. Hi there - I just discovered your blog as I was looking for vegan croissant recipes - my goodness you are inventive! You have developed some wonderful looking recipes - I've bookmarked several to try. We are finding there's pretty much nothing that can't be veganised - and the results are not only better tasting but kinder to the animals too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Virginia. There are so many ideas out there to veganise things, there are not many limits :)
      I tried cronuts after I did these, and I thought they were terrible, but once they sat in the fridge for a bit, they were quite awesome. I am going to try making them again soon and will share the recipe :)

      Delete