Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Chocolate Cupcakes! (Egg & Dairy Free)

At the end of January, it was my husband's birthday. It was time to make my very first decorated vegan cake. I decided to convert a non vegan recipe that I had been using for a long time (prior to becoming vegan). Although the cake turned out nice, the cake base was not great, and I would not use that recipe again without some tweaks.

I then realised, that in 2011 I made a dairy free cake for my nephew. When I went to check on the recipe in my old blog I realised that the cake was in fact vegan. The reason I had dismissed that cake previously was because it was then filled with non vegan filling and iced with non vegan icing.

I decided to try the recipe again for cupcakes, and with the tweaks I had recommended in my old blog.



Chocolate Cupcakes

Ingredients
200 gms plain flour
150 gms raw organic sugar
20 gms organic cacao powder (you can also use cocoa)
7 gms baking powder
60 gms sunflower oil
30 gms organic apple cider vinegar
250 gms oat milk
1/8 tsp vanilla powder or 1 tsp vanilla essence


Method

  1. Prepare a 12 hole cupcake tray with cupcake cases, and set aside.
  2. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius.
  3. In a bowl mix together the dry ingredients, wisk and set aside.
  4. In a glass jar, mix together the wet ingredients, whisk.
  5. Pour wet ingredients into the dry and gently whisk together until combined.
  6. Divide the mix into the 12 cupcake cases, and bake for 25 minutes or until done when tested with a wooden toothpick.

Chocolate Icing

Ingredients
100 gms Nuttelex
150 gms icing sugar
10 gms organic cacao powder (you can also use cocoa)


Method
  1. Using a hand mixer, mix the nuttelex until it is creamy and light.
  2. Add the cocoa and keep mixing, then add the sugar one tablespoon at a time, until all combined. 
  3. Ice cupcakes as desired.


No comments:

Post a Comment